Thursday, July 10, 2014

Sugar Horses Dress from Ellie Inspired

Recently I  signed up for a tester call over at Ellie Inspired Pattern Group.  I have never made one of her beautiful classic patterns because I thought they were all smocking patterns, so I had just stalked the page and admired everyone else's beautiful work from afar.  But this particular tester call said "you don't need to know how to smock".  I couldn't contain my excitement!!!  Then I got an email from Laura and I did a happy dance.


They were doing an entire month long celebration of smocking.  And she put together a group that I was honored to be a part of to showcase her patterns in beautiful Riley Blake fabric.  The theme was nautical or patriotic.  She wanted to show that so many of her patterns that called for smocking could be shirred instead and many of her patterns didn't have to be shirred or smocked at all.  We were able to choose one of her PATTERNS and we also had a little hand in helping pick what fabric we liked.  I chose Sugar Horses just because it looked simple, cute and perfect for summer in Texas.  I also told her I liked the Fly Away Design.  I liked it because it isn't something I would normally choose.  I always choose pinks and purples with flowers and cute little characters.  I loved the idea of doing something different.

Amazing pictures were posted in the group from some very talented ladies.  I felt inspired and challenged.  I am not a photographer and the weather was working against us that week.  And Raegan wasnt feeling photogenic either.  I finished the dress on a Tuesday and tried everyday to get pictures.  Finally on Sunday, I was able to get some photos.  Needless to say, I got about 20 ant bites on my foot taking those pictures and I almost had a heart attack when I realized a spider had crawled up Raegan and was on her shoulder.


I want to take a minute to tell you about Sugar Horses.  First, you can make this a top or a dress.  With a regular skirt or a strip skirt.  You can do a sleevless, straight sleeves, puffed sleeves or long sleeves.  The skirt can be made with a ruffle, a band or just a plain skirt.  And it buttons in the back.  It also comes in sized 1 - 16.  This is a great bang for your buck.  Their are directions for smocking or it can be gathered.

In the directions are finished garment measurements, directions for cutting out the pattern with all the different options laid out and easy to understand, and directions for the optional smocking.  After that, there are 11 pages of directions to put the dress together.  They are all easy to understand with computer drafted images to go along with every step.  There are 16 pages to print out to use for patterns.  (On page 21 it shows instructions for cutting out the pattern and you may be able to eliminate some of the pages, I was able to eliminate 9 since I was doing it sleeveless)  The pattern is drawn in black which is great to save on ink and the lines are drawn with different straight, dotted and slashed lines so that you are easily able to follow the size that you need.


I love this timeless classis dress with the mock cross over bodice.  I made a size 2 for my daughter and it is perfect.  I was beyond thrilled to be a part of this group and honored to work with Laura on something so special.  Check out the video below to see all of the work that was put into these designs and see if you can spot Raegan.  Join us at Ellie Inspired Pattern Group.  You can view all of Ellie Inspired Patterns HERE.

Watch our Video Here
Ellie Inpired - Celebration of Smocking


No comments:

Post a Comment