Saturday, July 12, 2014

Coachella Shorts By Striped Swallow Designs - The Quickest Cutest Shorts Ever

Coachella Shorts By Striped Swallow Designs

The Quickest Cutest Shorts Ever




So in a lot of my sewing groups this question is asked "why are there so many of the same style patterns put out by so many designers?" The truth is I am not a designer and I have no idea how it works and I think that goes for most everyone.  But I do know that a lot of it has to do with the construction of the item.  Truthfully, I have seen this style shorts and we would be lying to say we haven't although I have no idea where it originally came from.  For all I know designers have a secret group where they all brainstorm an idea in a secret laboratory and then see who can get it out first.  Hehe wouldn't that be a fun group. This style of shorts wasn't something I originally liked when I first saw the design elsewhere but I jumped at the idea to test for a new designer and I am so glad I did.

The Coachella shorts are a low rise shorts with cute trim detail. 
With this pattern you get:
pattern pieces ranging from 6 months to 12 years
suggested fabrics
notions needed
tips to picking a size and adjusting the waistband
pattern tiles that allow you to choose only the size that you would like to print (I haven't used this option)
tips for increasing and decreasing the length
cutting chart

This entire file has 31 pages total from start to finish.  5 of these pages are pattern pieces that need to be printed out and taped together.  The cut lines for all the sizes are both color coded and have dots, lines and dashes to help you distinguish which size it is which is great for black ink printers.  Best of all, once it is printed out you only have two small pattern pieces that you lay on your folded fabric. There are fantastic color pictures for every single step (be careful if you print your entire pattern like I do because they would use quite a bit of ink). 

I used my serger to finish the edges before putting together and these came together in less than an hour, start to finish.  Originally, these shorts have a tighter fit but Mandalynn has added some ease to the shorts from the original design.  So if you are looking at this pattern I would guess that they fit more like Raegans pictures than some of the other tester photos or at least in between since I sized up originally.  Raegan fit into the size 18 month but I made her the size 2 because we don't like her shorts to be that tight and they were perfect. 



I used some star fabric from my stash (seriously these are a great stash buster) with some trim that I had put aside for a different project.  Originally I was going to use bias tape.



This is just my take on this pattern.  I love the design now and it is going to be my go to for easy shorts that I want paired with a t shirt, shorts to go under matching dresses so her panties don't show since they used a bare amount of fabric and also some jammie shorts.  Everything was laid out with both the instructions and pictures so there weren't any questions that I had and the pages that you have to print are minimal.  This is the first pattern out from Striped Swallow Designs and I was surprised and thrilled when I looked at the pattern and started reading it to see how well put together it was.  You can tell she took her time and made sure it was ready before even releasing it to testers and then tweaked it before putting it for sale. 

You can purchase this pattern at Striped Swallow Designs Website.  And I always suggest joining the facebook group of the designer  when you are sewing up their pattern because usually they are on hand to answer any question or someone else is.  Plus sometimes you get a sneak peak at coming designs. You can do that HERE!

Check out some of the other testers photos here:






No comments:

Post a Comment